Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Counting down...

So... the news is out to my family that I'll be going to South Korea alone, and then leaving to China on an 18 hour ferry + 5 hour train to Beijing. Concerned friends gave me their numbers in case of emergencies, and i'm honestly very grateful. If my phone is not stolen, and if there's such emergency, if my credit card fails me, then I'll call.

Beijing sounds like a tricky and scary place already. Majority of the people in Beijing are scammers and I am told not to speak to anyone. I think I wont be able to talk for the entire 3 days in Beijing and also another 3 days of traveling to and fro Beijing. Cant imagine being silent for 6 good days. It's gonna be an 'interesting' experience. Considering I have crappy Mandarin proficiency, I'm afraid i'll be scammed while taking a taxi as well.

I think taking photos in China would be a problem because I dont think I can just pass my camera to anyone else to ask a favor to take my pics in front of the Forbidden City or any other exquisite world heritage site. Sigh... Maybe I could find other tourists to help me do it. Hopefully my camera doesnt get snatched and sold off because i'm still paying the damn installment and i've only owned it for less than 6 months. I might just go demanding for an air strike on Beijing if that happens. :P yeah right.

At the moment, I've just realized that I am still not ready to go for this trip just yet. I've really picked an unfortunate time to run off. my workload just piled up and I've not finished my ultra high priority task which is to submit a paper for publication on my research. It's still in construction.. i am currently cursed with distractions from this trip and other random events.
on the upside, my contact in S. Korea said I could stay at their home when I'm back from Beijing, and that totally saves me around RM250 on accommodation (if the guesthouse is okay with my cancellation without needing to compensate them). Tomorrow, I'll be settling EVERYTHING, buying whatever last minute items and getting my money exchanged. I'm still wondering if i should be carrying my handbag while touring in China. If one has to be soo paranoid, i might not even sleep soundly the entire time in China since there might be chances of people robbing me in the hostel or break into my locker and steal my stuffs.

sigh.. i shouldnt let other ppl's imagination affect me. the trip has already been paid for, with my own blood and sweat. i should just go and enjoy it despite everything and update my situation over there. But of course, I will be careful. VERY careful.

No comments: