Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I finally got my first draft of thesis back from my professor for review. Quite a number of things to rectify. Well, I'm only human. Cant be perfect and dont intend to be.

Work aside. How am I doing lately? Basically, I was watching Boston Legal till 2 a.m. last night, and kinda late for this morning's appointment with prof. Nothing great happened today, nothing bad either, so I guess it's a good day.

I spent my day with my labmate, a friend whom I have gotten very acquainted to when I am doing my postgraduate studies. She has been a source of encouragement for me, to push me to do my work when I'm often plague with laziness. I think I am very lucky in life to be able to meet people who always wants to lend a helping hand for a scumbag like me. Thank you god for people like this.

Today, we had Banana Leaf Rice which is awesome. Never enjoyed vegetables this much. I could be a vegetarian and discard my evil carnivorous days. We chatted about how people helped us and what are our plans after graduate school. Basically, she is going to South Korea for her postdoctoral training, and how I wish I could go with her too. I guess I only have this year to finish up my graduate school studies and I am OBLIGED to start working.

My mom and I have been in the wrong astrological position and was bickering about MY future ever since 2008 came. The neverending "I thought you have finished your Masters?". Okay.. fine. Although I am a reasonably transparent, I still am very secretive about my life. Especially to my family. None of them knew of my intention to continue my PhD and from the plans that I have in mind (i.e. trying to get out of grad school this year), it seems like it's impossible to finish my PhD project in such a short period of time. Anyway, the reasons why I wasnt all too enthusiastic of telling them of my intention was mainly because I want it to be a surprise for them. Kinda like getting them to come for my convocation (if they ever want to come) and shocked to death when I actually get a PhD. Evil indeed. It's just something that I want them to be proud of, that I can do it on my own, if they will just leave me alone and dont spoil my surprise. Oops.. I should vow not to have the habit of pushing people away from my life too.

I was a pain in the arse and probably am still a pain in the neck. I dont speak badly of my own family but, I do think that I have been successfully playing the role of the useless spoilt brat who refuses to shoulder responsibilities of adulthood i.e. GROW UP. Partly, I do feel like staying sheltered in school forever, but mostly, more than anything, I want to succeed in life. I guess I will just need to do one thing at a time, starting with finishing what I have started.

So, reality checks in. Just finish my studies and work. For the government, for private, for any slave drivers who needs bums like me to work for them.

No comments: